Torres: Football was the winner

Fernando Torres was in dreamland after a stunning final performance by the Liverpool striker saw Spain claim the European Championships crown.

The 24-year-old tormented Germany and scored the only goal in Spain's 1-0 triumph in the Ernst-Happel Stadium in Vienna.

Torres, voted man of the match by UEFA, said: "This is good not just for Spain but for football, because the best team won and that is not always the case."

He added: "It has been a fantastic season for me - it was fantastic with Liverpool and now a fantastic end of the season for the national team.

"This is the first big trophy for me and I hope not the last.

"We are privileged to be in the national team and we have had a chance to live through a beautiful tournament.

"We are proud to see so many people enjoying it, and now we have the peace of mind that we have achieved what we set out to do."

Spain have often been viewed in the past as having suffered from divisions within the team, and Torres paid tribute to the togetherness of this squad who won the country's first major tournament since 1964.

Torres added: "I am happy because my job is to score goals and I have done my job tonight but this was a victory for the unity of the group - it doesn't often happen that a group gets along so well."

0 comments: